CHINA : A LOOK BACK AT THE LYON DELEGATION'S VISIT
A delegation led by Gérard Collomb visited China on 21 – 27 June 2015, here is a look back over the visit.
Over 8 days, the Lyon delegation led by Gérard Collomb, Senator Mayor of Lyon and President of Greater Lyon, visited 5 cities and covered 20,000 km during a series of financial and political meetings, public events and the signing of partnership agreements between universities.
The delegation comprised elected officials from Lyon Metropole and Lyon City Hall as well as partner institutions such as ADERLY, Lyon’s Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Tourism Office and representatives from numerous Lyon-based companies already established in China and those interested in setting up there.
This official visit made it possible to measure the impact of last year’s visit by China’s President Xi Jinping to Lyon, in particular concerning the visibility of Lyon and China and to reinforce this impact.
During this visit, numerous meetings took place and agreements were signed:
- Following a meeting between Gérard Collomb, President of ChemChina announced an investment of €15 million in its subsidiary Bluestar Silicones elastomer production unit in Saint-Fons.
- Création of the Asia-Europe Business School, an association between EMLYON business school and East China Normal University: this new international school will open in 2016 in Shanghai.
- Meetings with one hundred or so Chinese companies also took place during the economic forums in Canton, Shenzhen and Shanghai and during a networking event.
- 15 meetings with Chinese potential investors in Lyon, led by the Mayor of Lyon and the Greater Lyon vice-Presidents. These companies are planning visits in lyon in the comming months.
- Gérard Collomb also met with the Vice Prime Minister of the Economy, Ma Kaï in Beijing in order to reinforce investments in Chinese tourism in Lyon.
- 7 partnership agreements between universities including the University of Lyon, Shanghai Jaio Tong and the University of Sun Yat Sen and the New Franco-Chinese Institute of Lyon.
- Meetings between the Greater Lyon Tourism Board and tour-operators in Canton, Shanghai and Hong-Kong, so that Lyon will be even more included in Chinese visitors tours in Europe.
- The Lyon French Tech delegation took several starups from Lyon on a tour to discover Shenzen, the Chinese Silicon Valley and to meet local tech companies.
- In Canton, inaugural ceremony of the exhibition on the new Lyon Franco-Chinese Institute. the exhibition will later tour several Alliance française branches in China.
- partnerships agreements between the new Lyon Franco-Chinese Institute and the Sun Yat Sen University in Canton,and the Beijing Yishu8 cultural Institute.
ONLYLYON, exporting Lyon in China
In the context of its mission to promote Lyon abroad, ONLYLYON organised 3 press conferences in Beijing, Shanghai and Canton. Each event attracted over 30 Chinese journalists from mainstream national media.
Moreover, over 400 advisors attended the event organised by ONLYLYON at the Peace Hotel in Shanghai, in partnership with the Bank of China, Emirates and Agamy wines, which, alongside the Institut Paul Bocuse of Shanghai, demonstrated the Lyonnais fine art of dining. This was a unique opportunity to promote Lyon in China.
This tour also made it possible to finalise the validation of 2 light festivals in China: the 1st in Shanghai entitles: « Lumière China » which will take place on 12 December 2015, and the 2nd in Hong Kong in October 2016.